Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:48:19 -0700
Perhaps an unfair test, but couldn't resist. OM 50/1.8 vs Zeiss 55/1.8 @ 1.8.

First test with late series OM 50/1.8 with Fotasy adapter on a7riii, shot wide
open, compared to Sony Zeiss 55/1.8, also manually focused the same way. This
was highly rated 50 on Gary Reese's testing. I have a second OM 50 and should
check it as well.

Based only on this one test I have to say the Zeiss way out performs the OM
50/1.8 in sharpness and contrast. The OM 50 has a soft look too it, almost a
fuzzy glow. Here are two 100% crops. The OM subject was more centered, the
Zeiss shot subject was off to the right. This is not a super controlled test,
and perhaps higher F stop would help the OM. I really like the Zeiss 55. That
and the Sony 90 macro is nice and handles well, easily switching from AF to MF
by pushing the focus ring forward...

OM 50/1.8 100% cropped
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p690qd1gxba2f01/7R301920_crop2.jpg?dl=0

Zeiss 55/1.8 100% cropped
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ehikvsgwmyppip/7R301924_crop2.jpg?dl=0

I don't regret the $14 for this test. It has satisfied an a long time itch.

dxomark rates the 55/1.8 lens well:
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-mounted-on-Sony-A7R-II__1035

WayneS