Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 23:28:55 -0700
On 7/30/2019 11:53 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
What's the (collective?) opinion on Gerber vs Leatherman?

For me, the choice is more about functions than brand, per se. But I can see, with the endless proliferation of brands and models, how one could wish start with a preferred brand.

I start with Leatherman. Quality of materials and manufacture is superb, and the warranty exceptional. I would expect Gerber to be good, but don't really know.

It does seem that, whenever I look for a particular feature or feature set, I end up with Leatherman. I wanted a small, pocket tool with BOTH pliers and scissors. When I looked, the only one that filled the bill was a Leatherman Squirt PS4. I now have two, always one in my pocket.

You want serious pliers? The Leatherman Crunch is like Vise-Grips, amazing. And
the few other tools lock in place.

Want to take a small tool on the plane? Leatherman Style PS has 8 tools, including scissors, but no knife blade, so it's TSA compliant. Wow! I can easily open the wrappings on flatware, the pouches of mayo/catsup/mustard, and so on, along with the other tools. Caution, though, TSA is US only. Other countries tend to follow it's guidelines, but that's not guaranteed.

Open My Moose