Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/7/2019: two Dublin leftovers

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/7/2019: two Dublin leftovers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 22:30:09 -0700
On 7/16/2019 2:09 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
I have a feeling, Mike, that a "pig" is a short electrical connection lead, to
connect, say, an amplifier to the power supply from a mobile generator on site. I don’t
know how I know that, since I do not recall ever working as a roadie at Glastonbury (other
venues are available) - but it might be consistent with an aircraft shore supply/intercom to the
flight deck.

I suspect the term comes from 'pigtail', which comes from pigtails in hair, many strands braided together, then spreading separately at the end. More generally, it seems to have been used for all sorts of short electrical/electronic connectors that break out the individual strands.

From there it's easy to see it being applied to various short, multi strand connectors. I see it is specifically used now for fiber optic cable breakouts, at least according to Wikipedia.

Also, short, braided connectors in electric motors and generators.

So, I'm guessing you are right, and it's a shore to aircraft connector.

Sleuth Moose