Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 26/6/2019: testing my new GM5

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 26/6/2019: testing my new GM5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:52:44 -0700
On 6/28/2019 11:09 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Inspired by Moose,

Uh-oh.

I have been looking around for a second-hand Panasonic GM5 to serve as my
cycling camera. There is nothing wrong with the GF1 I have been using for this
purpose lately, but it is 11 years old and the sensor is long in the tooth,
something that is particularly evident as soon the ISO goes above 200. The GM5
is about 5 years younger, has a much better sensor and is tiny in comparison.
They are hard to find, as apparently people hang on to them. And I can
understand why. Last week I finally found one on eBay, in Norway, and on
Wednesday it arrived in my office. I immediately unpacked the little gem and
went about testing it, of course at high ISO. My test subject were as you might
expect. Here are four test images.

My Greek colleague Eri, at ISO 1250:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-x2LRZp8/A

My usual victim Carolina, at ISO 500:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zccjSBn/A

The decorations in my office, at ISO 3200:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-CHmg3t3/A

One of the baby cacti in my garden, at ISO 2000:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4KR4595/A

Those have come out well.

I think the GM5 will serve me well.

Whew! I hope it does, too. I started out with the GM1, which is significantly smaller in hand. I don't suffer from "too small for my hands" syndrome, so I liked it a lot. Then MikeG kept harassing me about the GM5. After playing with his, I eventually gave in, and traded off between the two for a while.

In the end, the GM5 won the tug of war; the EVF really does make a difference in much light. I've only just, almost, caught up in shots taken with the GM5s to those with the GM1. A lot of shots with both have been in museums. I really like visual aides memoires of the art I've seen.

It is a nice bit of engineering.  I had to have my sensor replaced.  I thought
I might find another for less than the cost of repair, but that was not the
case.
The 12-32 is better than it has a right to be given the size and has some IS.  If
the SS drifts <= 1/500 the shutter  goes to total e-shutter and the DR is down
by about 1 stop.
I attempt to avoid that if feasible.

Mike reminds me of this, and I forget, repeatedly. :-)  OTOH, I've yet to have
a shot important to me ruined by this.

G. M. Moose