Re: [OM] Dash Cam Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Dash Cam Apps
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 13:19:31 +0100
I’m very glad that you’re OK, Chris.  What about a helmet cam?

It’s a known phenomenon, Chris: your high acuity vision works only with a
stable image and since it is only 2 degrees wide (approx) you have to move it
to the right place and dwell there to see a small object like an approaching
bike.

If you merely sweep your eyes around the scene your vision will perform
"saccadic jumps” and you’re likely to miss small objects unless there is
relative movement.  And if you’re on a collision course, you’ll remember from
your flying days, there is no relative movement.

Our vision is deeply flawed and we need to use it with great care and
deliberation, flying or driving . . .

Chris