Re: [OM] Ramblings on my Panasonic GF1

Subject: Re: [OM] Ramblings on my Panasonic GF1
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 13:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
I have a GX7 that I find good.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Olympus Camera Discussion"
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2019 12:39:44 AM
Subject: [OM] Ramblings on my Panasonic GF1

Many of the cycling photos I have posted in the past few months are made with
my10 years old Panasonic GF1 and a newly purchased 12-32mm lens which collapses
into an extremely compact package.

I love the handling of the GF1. It was a camera that really delivered on the
promise of micro 4/3: small cameras with good image quality. It is also very
solidly built and is made in Japan rather than China, always a plus.

But there is no denying that the sensor from 2009 is looking a bit long in the
tooth compared to the newer MFT camera. So from time to time I look at the
specs of various newer Panasonic and Olympus models, but I continue to be
frustrated by the evolution—rocker switches instead of menu dials, touch screen
(great for inadvertently changing settings), various other useless features
that only seem to drain the battery. Moose recommended the Panasonic GM5 a
while ago—it does have a newer sensor, and it seems that it has a user
interface not too far removed from the GF1. But it is discontinued and seems
difficult to find (I do not shop on eBay). Are there are any current models
that would satisfy my somewhat old-fashioned user interface preferences?

Oh, and do not recommend stuff that costs in the 4 digits. This is a camera for
the bicycle handlebar bag. For other uses, I am perfectly well served with my
Leica and Fuji cameras.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman