Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aviation News

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Interesting Aviation News
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 12:17:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     The C-130A/B/C/D models had a sliding cargo door on the left side ahead of
the props.  A few of them came loose in flight, and if not for a safety feature
they would have come off and taken out the #2 engine.  AF had them welded shut.

     C-130s prior to the H model had 1" diameter control cable pulleys, which
caused accelerated wear on the cables.  A C-130A of the West Virginia ANG had
an advance cable on an outboard engine fail, putting the prop into full reverse
while in the traffic pattern.  Luckily, the copilot was quick and feathered the
prop with enough altitude remaining to recover.

     Another C-130E on short approach had a cable fail, and it crashed, killing
everyone on board.  We the learned that Lockheed had told AF about the problem,
and AF bought kits for every plane in the inventory.  They put them in a
warehouse and simply said that it was not cost effective to do the work.  After
that crash at Ft. Campbell, all C-130s prior to the H model were grounded until
the refit was accomplished.

     I was in the Pennsylvania ANG when that happened.  We had one plane (6816)
that had had a fire at Dyess AFB.  When it was rebuilt, they put in the larger
pulleys.  We had the only flyable C-130 on the east coast, so it was busy 24/7
except for scheduled maintenance.

>Remarkable plane. I remember when the B52's were being built here, there
>was in incident with th model that had the fold over tail. A company
>pilot took one out for a production test filght and in flight the tail
>came unhinged and fell over sideways, It had no ability to jettison fuel,
>so he was forced to circle for several hours burning enough to get to
>landing weight. Still, he managed to get it back in one piece.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson