Re: [OM] Need Help with Bird ID

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Help with Bird ID
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 07:04:20 -0400
> From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
>  Got it. Female Cowbird.

That was my first guess. They sit atop our goats from time to time. I go to
milk and sometimes press my head against the goat, then see the streaks on
their flanks, and go, “Eeeewww!”

They are parasites. They lay their eggs in other bird’s active nests. Their
eggs develop more quickly than the other bird’s, and when they hatch, the young
cowbirds chuck the REAL eggs out of the nest.

So if you ever see a dead baby bird under a tree, or a broken egg with a
near-viable fetus, it is probably due to cowbird parasitization.

Ain’t nature wunnerful?

Jan