Re: [OM] GIMP Fonts

Subject: Re: [OM] GIMP Fonts
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 16:23:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Knowing this, a suggestion I saw online made sense, so I tried it.  It
consists of putting "fonts.google.apis" into the hosts file.  While I was at
it, I also added "googleusercontent.com".

     Restarted the machine, went online, and toggled Earthlink webmail.  Then
checked all of the fonts files and saw that none had been modified.  Then
launched GIMP, and it came right up, just like it used to.

     I'll check this for a couple of days to make certain that it is doing what
I expect.

     I'm going to add all google functions to that hosts file as they appear.
Google is the ultimate cyberevil.

     God, but I hate having to fix these things repeatedly.

>     I may have figured out what the problem is with GIMP fonts.  Seems
>that on startup, if GIMP sees that the fonts folder has been modified,
>it will reindex the entire folder.  So how does the folder get modified?
>
>     About the same time that this problem came up, Earthlink came up
>with a scheme to use fonts.googleapis.com for all text characters, and
>they do so liberally.  As many as five or six downloads for each and
>every email that you read.  This has brought their webmail down to a
>crawl, and now it seems it is also affecting GIMP.  I can see by way of
>Windows Explorer that many font folders are modified repeatedly during
>the day.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson