Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this group

Subject: Re: [OM] An appeal to the collective techno wisdom of this group
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:02:19 -0800
> Do you REALLY NEED a wireless keyboard and mouse? USB works good enough,
> except in certain situations where you move things around a lot.

There are some things that have a distinct quality of life benefit to
being wireless. Headphones or headset are one of those things. Mice? I
prefer wireless as that one wire is always getting in the way.
Keyboard? Not an issue. Monitors? Ugh. The delay is horrible.

My new personal office digs have one major advantage: Bose speakers. I
can have music playing in the room while I'm rattling away on the
computer keyboard. I'm not disturbing anybody else. Of course, when on
a conference call, I silence what I can.

Another aspect of wireless that is pleasurable. Bluetooth in the car.
Both of our vehicles have bluetooth. The Prius also has additional
features and mapping integration so live traffic will show up on the
map. In the BMW, it was built-in, but utilized an internal 3G cellular
system that is no longer supported in Anchorage, so I use Waze and
Google Maps instead. (both at the same time as each has distinct
advantages in Anchorage traffic). But Bluetooth saves us from having
to physically plug our phones into the car, which eliminates one or
more leashes around the driver position to get tangled up in.

> I honestly don’t understand the allure at all. One more thing to either
> re-charge, or replace the batteries in.

I agree. But batteries are the bane of our existence. Everything from
wall clocks, TV remote controls, cell-phones, mice, keyboards,
headsets, vibrators, and plug-in automobiles all require batteries and
the user management of them.

> Oops… I lied. I have a wireless trackpad, which I thought would be useful
> when my Wacom tablet quit working (not because it was ill, but because Wacom
> quit supporting it with new drivers). It sits there with a dead battery.

My Wacom is a USB model that still works. I haven't loaded the drivers
in years. Microsoft's built-in drivers do just fine. The mouse died
years ago, but the pen still works flawlessly. I have had to wax it a
few times as the surface is starting to look like sandpaper.

AG Schnozz