Re: [OM] IMG: Algerians in Alicante

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Algerians in Alicante
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:47:33 -0500
Very nice costumes and smiles..................

And nice images.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 4/10/2019 12:11 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Last week two small vignettes really brought home that our nearest neighbour here in
Alicante is North Africa. On Thursday afternoon I was cycling after work, and I stopped to
photograph the sunset sky over the A70 motorway that bypasses Alicante, including in the
picture a sign indicating the distance to Almería and the ferries to Morocco and
Algeria that depart from there—in Spanish and in Arabic, since many of the drivers
who use this motorway to get to the ferries to cross the Mediterranean are Moroccans and
Algerians living in countries further north, such as France, Belgium or the Netherlands.

Then on Sunday afternoon I was walking around the centre and happened upon this small
demonstration on Plaza Montañeta, one of Alicante’s central squares. The tone
was decidedly celebratory, and I suspected that it had to do with the recent resignation of
longtime president Bouteflika. And indeed, one of the Algerian bystanders confirmed that. I
took a few pictures:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Algerians-in-Alicante/

People were very friendly and someone else asked me if I needed more
information—I politely told him that I had already spoken with one of his
compatriots there.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman