[OM] OT: Kicking and Screaming

Subject: [OM] OT: Kicking and Screaming
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 17:59:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Some significant changes are taking place for us internet bottom feeders.
Earthlink has been bought out by Windstream (aka Breakwind), and the changes
are already taking place.  At the beginning of the year, the number of lines to
the dialup modems was cut back, and it has become pretty difficult at times to
get a connection.  There are many times where I connect with copper.net, even
though I'm not a subscriber.  Curious.

     A couple of months ago they migrated the personal web pages to another
server, and while doing so completely forgot to complete the routing.  After
six weeks of no web page I called tech support and they weren't even aware of
the migration.  It took them four days to complete the server routing.

     A week later I got an email stating that the migration had been completed
and that the web pages were now available, but they were now read-only.  So, I
can't manage the page and I guess nobody can download the papers I have on it.
They also stated that the web pages will disappear completely next March.
Great.

     So, the incentive for statying with Earthlink/Breakwind is slowly coming
to an end.  I can get DSL with copper.net for the same price I'm paying for
Earthlink dialup.  19CL is installing optical fibre near me, so I should soon
be able to use DSL.

     The biggest hurdle is that I have never bothered to comprehend how to use
DSL or what is required.  So, is there a downloadable tutorial that I can read
to get ahead of the power curve?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson