Re: [OM] IMGS: Dredging Rocks Colors

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Dredging Rocks Colors
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 18:08:00 -0400
Thanks, Moose.  That's exactly what I did with the B&W because the depth of
field was so great at f8.  It's very time consuming though and I'll save it
for those that really need it - like this one!!

I appreciate your taking the time to experiment with the photo.  I'm sure
you are much faster with PS than I am, though!

Tina

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 6:01 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/17/2019 7:53 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > I'm now working on the color versions of the B&W rock photos that I
> posted
> > earlier.  My time on the MM camera was set a day earlier than my SL so
> > those came up first.  On this one, I thought the version straight out of
> > the camera had a distracting background:
> >
> > https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/168928466
> >
> > So I desaturated the colors in the background a little bit:
> >
> > https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/168928458
> >
> > Yes or no??
>
> Other than making the "42" sign look unnatural, the difference is so tiny
> I can't see it makes a difference. In fact, I
> wasn't sure I could see a difference, until I stacked them in PS and
> flipped the top layer on and off. Verrrry subtle.
>
> I prefer the look we are all used to, creating subject separation with
> shallow DoF. I simulated that here using PS tool
> Lens Blur on a layer with a graduated mask, so the blur increases with
> distance. I applied extra blur to the sign.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Dredging_Rocks.htm>
>
> Pretend you shot a fast 50 mm, wide open. :-)
>
> Selectively Blurry Moose
>
> --
> --

Tina Manley