Re: [OM] Photographer climbs 700ft Welsh mountain to snap picture of air

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographer climbs 700ft Welsh mountain to snap picture of airman staring into camera | Daily Mail Online
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 07:14:03 +0000
The area is called the Mach Loop, Brian; it’s situated quite close to
Machynlleth and the hills provide useful vantage points for photographers to
catch shots like that.  The climb is not a problem but the wait, often in cold
and wet weather (it is Wales, after all), is challenging.  Many take tents for
shelter, although camping is not allowed, I think.

You can get some pretty good images, as that one shows (it’s quite an old one),
but I worry about the effect that it has on the pilots.  They feel the need to
get low enough to get a decent shot and our allies have very little experience
of flying that low, fast, in such terrain.  Our US friends might never do that
anywhere else in the world, and it’s not an easy skill to master.

There are guides to this photographic experience on the Web:
https://machloop.co.uk <https://machloop.co.uk/>

I was particularly disappointed when I saw photographs of the Red Arrows “doing
the Loop” last year: there can have been no good reason for their flying nine
aircraft in loose formation at low level in Wales, let alone through the
valleys like that.  The increased risk, either from engine failure at low level
or from bird strike or mid-air (with the civvies who sometimes fly through the
area), made it a very irresponsible action, in my view.

I’ve been up one of the slopes once, but many people are almost addicted to
hanging around there for photos.

Chris