Re: [OM] Sensor-Great gobs of gunk--what next?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sensor-Great gobs of gunk--what next?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:32:30 -0800
GM5 sensor accumulated >80 pixel blobs. I rocket blow the sensor before most trips and have done so at least 3 times since these have shown up.

IMO, the Rocket Blowers and ear syringes are worse than useless. They aren't powerful enough to remove anything much, but lead one to leave the sensor exposed while setting lots of dust swirling around.

Have canned air with reputation as having no issues--

Have yet to have a problem using plain old Dust-Off.

I know some don't like this technique but if carefully done usually sensor clean as a whistle in a flash. No luck this time, but no worse either.

Carefully, as in, half empty, held upright. Violently, as in, blast the snot out of it! Know where a blob is? get close with the tube, and pulse full power.

I can still see some of the culprits with a sensor loupe. They did not budge and can see them in the images. I have one of those sensor pens but haven't used in many moons.

You've got the right gear. Get in close, wear mag thingie, use corner of SensorPen to move/unstick the blobs. Knock some loose - give it another blast of gas to get them out of there. After you get the baddies, the SensorPen may be used for an overall clean.

I do not guarantee that the above will either work or not damage anything. It is, however, what's worked for me without damage.

I have not had to do a wet clean ever. I can't image my brush would work for this and sometimes it makes the sensor worse.

I got all that stuff Chuck recommended. Then the SensorPen came out, and I
never did a wet job.

Dry Swab Moose