Re: [OM] Monreale Cathedral

Subject: Re: [OM] Monreale Cathedral
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 14:41:55 -0800
Hi, Wayne.  Sorry, no larger view of the door. I estimate it was at least 15 feet high. One of the challenges of a cathedral is that there's so much. No lens is wide enough, and if it were, the details would be too small. And there are always so many people in the way. We were on an organized tour. Our guide was a very passionate young woman with degrees in archaeology and art history. She had many wonderful things to tell us as we squeezed and wove between other groups.  So my pictures were very much on the fly and by instinct. "Make the part stand for the whole" was the watchword of the day. :-)

--Peter

I found the door the most interesting. do you have a larger view of
it? It was
probably built by the craftsman rather than the artisan.

Way eS

At 2/18/2019 12:27 AM, you wrote:

>Enough snow.  Back to sunny Sicily.
>
>Monreale Cathedral really blew my mind. Built by Arab architects for
the
>Norman conquerers of Sicily, it's a Catholic cathedral that looks
Byzantine.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/47079282362/in/dateposted-public/>

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/47079282322/in/dateposted-public/>

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/47079282242/in/dateposted-public/>