Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/2/2019: baby boom

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/2/2019: baby boom
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:37:47 +0100
SNEs do not need to be from the EU. Most are, but we have also had SNEs in the
past from China, South Korea, Turkey and other third countries. The reason this
is possible is that SNEs are not employees of our office—they remain employed
by their home office. That said, there are very such non-EU SNEs.

Following Brexit, the UK SNEs already here can complete their stay as planned.
We will likely take very few if any new ones, though.

You may wonder about UK employees of our office and other EU institutions.
Basically, those on indefinite contracts will remain employed as if nothing had
happened. Those on time-limited contracts will be allowed to serve out their
term but will not be renewed (generally, our temporary staff have a 5-year
contract, reneweable for another 5-year period). But we will not be hiring any
new UK employees, of course.

Unsurprisingly, those UK employees who can, are busy getting an EU
citizenship—many have Irish roots and so can claim that, while others have
lived in Spain for many years, have a Spanish spouse etc., and so can apply for
Spanish nationality.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman