[OM] File recovery software for SD cards

Subject: [OM] File recovery software for SD cards
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:05:41 -0800
What program(s) do you folks use to recover deleted or inaccessible DNG files from an SD card?

I accidentally deleted two pictures from an SD card in my Leica M10-P before they had been copied anywhere else.  Fortunately, I was able to get the files back, but I'd like to know the best solution for the future.

As soon as I deleted the files, I shut off the camera, removed the SD card, write-protected it and put a different card in the camera. I had formatted the card before starting to use it, and I normally don't delete pictures in-camera.  So I was fairly confident that the deleted files were contiguous and therefore easy to recover.

The first program I tried was Rescue Pro from LC Technology. SanDisk recommends it.  I had two license keys that came with SanDisk cards I'd bought.  Perfect, right?  Wrong. Neither license key worked: "Invalid key." On the bottom of the "Free Offer" tag, in tiny print readable only with a strong magnifier, were the words "Limited time offer." Gee, thanks. To download the software, I had to give them a valid email address and phone number. Within 24 hours, they spammed me via both. Their standard $40 program doesn't support DNG files, so I would have to buy the $60 "Deluxe" version. And those prices are for a one-year license, after which the software stops working.  I'm happy to pay for something I use, but I object to renting software on principle.  All of these things left me with an unfavorable impression of LC Technology.

I ended up downloading MiniTool Photo Recovery, which easily recovered my two files. The free version I used is limited to 200 MB. Their registered versions don't expire. Is this a good solution, or is there something better?

--Peter