Re: [OM] interval mode coming for some sonies

Subject: Re: [OM] interval mode coming for some sonies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 12:33:53 -0800
On 1/17/2019 6:27 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
For latest models this coming update will add interval shooting mode.

http://www.markgaler.com/new-firmware-updates-coming-for-a7iii-a7riii-and-a9

Only updates for A9 are listed, but may also apply to a7iii, a7riii? One in particular I
am curious about is "Focus Area Circulation". Is this focus bracketing?

Pure speculation: :-)

Oly Focus Bracketing (FB) works by taking the first slice at the existing focal distance (FD), then working toward infinity. I seem to have a distressing tendency to miss finding the actual closest part of the subject to focus on. I've developed a technique of focusing, then moving back a small amount before pushing the button. This has helped, but not eliminated, the problem for me.

(Oly Focus Stacking uses a different, probably better model of finding the closest part of the subject and focusing there before starting. But it has other limitations that render it useless for me.)

Recent Panny camera bodies have two methods of FB. One is like Oly. The second starts with the current FD, the moving alternately forward, toward the camera, then back, toward infinity. It can be wasteful, once forward passes the closest point of the subject, but solves my problem - and I throw away a lot of slices from stacks already.

This second method sounds like it could be called "Focus Area Circulation"

All these advanced features, such as eye autofocus, face recognition, subject
tracking, image stabilization, must consume more battery power. I'm looking to
use the camera setting that can give maximum battery life vs user functionality?

I have the first three off by default, and only turn them on for specific situations. For my money, and spare batteries, IS (both lens and body) is worth twice its weight in mAhs.

Guess Work Moose