Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected - now 40/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] ls-4000 resurrected - now 40/1.2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:27:36 -0800
On 1/13/2019 6:57 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Thanks for the comment and insights.

I too do not like the mag autofocus and assigned it to C2. It would be nice if
there were more options to control the amount of magnification. 5.6 is often
too close, and 1.0 is practically useless to me, unless I am shooting something
very static.

I have also noticed shooting smoother surfaces (leaves, shells, ...) with the
90/2.8 macro that it hunts a lot, and the peaking is nearly worthless in that
case. The subject needs a well defined contrast to achieve good focus. Even
then, when it is currently in focus it will re-hunt every time. The macro lens
has a setting to limit the range, but still hunts.

Clean the contacts? See if others report this; if not, repair?

And even though exposure can be hand held, manual focus, just moving in or out
needs the tripod.

The only other 1.2 I ever owned was the Zuiko 50/1.2. I enjoyed that lens and
with the optical viewfinder on the OM-4ti, I never had such trouble focusing.
Given this 40/1.2 is manual and 1.2 is hard to nail, for me, without autofocus
and active subjects, I will be returning it. I'm just not up to using this lens
at its full potential with the cumbersome EVF style of focusing.

We're all different. All the lenses I have for my A7 are MF, ranging from old to ancient. I find the EVF magnification and the peaking nicely useful; much better than an SLR finder.

I would like a similar lens but with autofocus, F2 or faster. I had much better
success with the 90/2.8 macro for what I might use the 40/1.2 for. I just need
something in the 35-55 range, not too bulky...
Any suggestions?

The GAS part of me would really like me to get into Sony stuff beyond the A7. The photographer, occasional artist, whomever, and gear carrier, just can't see it. The only lens that occasionally tweaks me is the 100mm f/2.8 STF.

New gear, yes, just not Sony FF.

Not Immune Moose