[OM] Nathan's PAD 23/10/2018: IP Statistics for Decision Makers conferen

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/10/2018: IP Statistics for Decision Makers conference 2018
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 06:57:06 +0200
Not the most sexy of subject lines, I know…but this week our office hosted one
of major annual events on the global IP economics circuit, together with the
OECD. Offering to host the conference was something I proposed last year, so I
have been a bit tense and nervous this week—in the way a football coach is
nervous before a match. All the preparations had been made, the speakers lined
up, the logistics were in good hands etc., but in the end you don’t know if it
went well until it is over. It is now over, and it did go well. Two snippets
from the conference.

The conference was truly global—here is a panel of three presenters, from
Korea, China and the US, respectively, chaired by Prof. Castaldi from the
Technical University of Eindhoven:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XNXQLQj/A

In addition to the presentations in the auditorium, there were also “poster
sessions” in the lobby, as is typical for academic conferences. These are
basically papers that did not quite make the cut to be presented orally (the
selection was made by an external Scientific Committee) but were still
considered good enough to be presented. Here is one of those posters and one of
the co-authors, whom I consider one of our real success stories. Antanina is
Lithuanian. She was a trainee in my department a few years ago, then went on to
the PhD programme at the University of Padova in Italy, where she will defend
her dissertation next month. And she has just been hired for a post-doc
position at the University of Bournemouth in England. I have kept in touch with
her over the years, visiting her in Padova two years ago, and writing
recommendations for her along the way when needed. So I am really pleased to
see her progress:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MBsdTMr/A

Cheers,
Nathan