Re: [OM] Earthlink Dialup Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] Earthlink Dialup Internet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:20:06 -0700
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

     The city here has been proposing a free city-wide internet service for
years.  I'm not holding my breath.
It is a concept that has failed miserably everywhere it has been
tried.
Including Ashland, Oregon?

We were supposed to be there last week. Alas, the forest fires rendered air quality 'Hazardous', both there and at other So. Oregon places we had thought to visit. Our friends there advised that folks they knew were fleeing to the coast, thus making our plan to check that out too moot.

Practically everyplace we might want to visit instead is afflicted by smoke or,
in one case, repaving.

It's been a number of years, but the last time I was there, I opened my laptop
and immediately connected via WiFi, wherever I went.

Sorry, can't test this year.

Not as Bummed as those who live in those places, not NEARLY. One poor fellow was busy fighting the Ferguson Fire, next to Yosemite, when his house in Redding was burned to the ground.

It seems that home may have the most clement weather in the Lower 48 just now.

My youngest brother must be having a great summer. He LOVES forest fire fighting, and spent a lot of his time in the Forest Service doing it. He much preferred it to being in the office or in Washington. Retired and a bit long in the tooth, he's limited to being Safety Officer - and still loves it. Probably saves a few firefighters' lives.

Smokey the Moose