Re: [OM] Boring mirror lens test shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Boring mirror lens test shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 03:11:11 -0700
On 7/30/2018 4:08 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Is the test chart set at an angle? There is a lot of variation between
sides or center-to-edge.

The OMZ 500/8 is certainly a charmer, though.

It's certainly a beautiful thingie, beautifully made and finished. I take mine out to admire from time to time. (Not quite up to "My precious", though.)

OTOH, there are clearly at least a couple of native µ4/3 lenses that surpass it on a 4/3 size sensor. If IQ happens to outweigh cost or nostalgia, AF, bokeh, etc. are important, etc., it's not the winner. A bit unfair, really, to compare a lens designed to cover FF with lenses that had 4/3 as their design goal.

Jan's results still puzzle me a bit, as they seem to disagree so much with the
tests in the old Modern Photography.

My mirror team is slightly different than Jan's, but similar, OMZ 500/8, Sigma 600/8 and Meade 1000/11 (and a beat-up poor IQ Tamron 500/8). I have some shots that seem to show the latter two as pretty good. The Meade outperformed the Sigma on the moon, mostly on sheer magnification.

But I don't have any head to head tests that aren't seriously compromised by atmospheric effects. Even 1:40 on the 1000/11 or the 500/8 with 2xA requires a 40 m focal distance. Anything much less is testing at least slightly close focus performance. I don't think I care enough to search out a 130' or longer venue.

Short of Distance Moose