Re: [OM] Sensor Cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Sensor Cleaning
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:37:09 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> The most effective method I've found is canned 'air'. Yes, I know everyone
> says that's a bad idea.

If you're as careful as Moose professes to be, perhaps you'll get away with it.
But one tip, one bump, one mis-calculation, and you might have a real mess to
clean up.

Yes, I use "canned air," but it is *REAL* air.

Don't know where I got it (Harbor Freight?), but I have an aluminum can with a
spray-top cap that unscrews and has a standard Schraeder (car tire) fitting on
it. Charge it up from a small air compressor, and you've got a short supply of
clean, dry air. (Assuming your compressor has a filter on it, as most do.)
Don't have a compressor? Just run down to your local service station and charge
your "air battery" up when you need it. Or invest in a small compressor used
for air-brushing, which you can get for the cost of a dozen or so cans of fake
air.

I've heard people warn that doing so puts "oil" in the compressed air. There is
no mechanism in an air compressor that puts oil in the air, except for
specialized ones used only for air-powered tools. Others claim that oil from
the compression mechanism itself gets in the air. If so, it's a truly minuscule
amount, as I've been running my compressor for ~20 years, and have NEVER had to
add oil to it.

Down side? Being a compressed gas, rather than a boiling liquid, it has a low
capacity. But it certainly has enough for "the job" — simply charge it up every
time you need it. And you'll never have to worry about spilling boiling liquid
on your precious sensor again.

Plus, you won't have any disposable "maybe I'll recycle it this time" empty
faux-air cans lying around to get rid of.

Jan