Re: [OM] ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Subject: Re: [OM] ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 09:49:48 -0700
On Jul 14, 2018, at 03:16,Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

> It reminds me of my time with the 600/6.5 lens. It is one of those
> lenses that when everything is perfect, the lens is perfect. But
> man-o-man, everything from aperture actuation vibration to tides will
> cause you to get a blurry image.

YES! I was so impressed with the 600 when I shot those eagles. (Which, being on
an E-300 via adapter, would rule out aperture actuation vibration.)

Moose can say what he will about subject motion and thermal refraction, but the
fact remains that all those eagle shots with various lenses were all under the
same conditions, and the 600 came out on top. What, does it possess some
mysterious subject-motion-calming or magical atmospheric-settling qualities? :-)

But I haven’t been able to get a clear shot out of it since. I tried two
tripods in various combos, with or without extra weight, both hanging from
below or sitting on top. I tried standing on one foot, with and without
sticking my tongue in various cheek positions, with and without chanting either
“OM” or “Our Father, Who Art In Heaven...,” both forwards and backwards.

Well, that’s not exactly true. Using the E-M1.2 silent shutter seemed to make
it behave better, but that was just a random shot of nothing particularly
interesting. I’ll have to give it one more serious go before deciding its
“space in the case” is better served with something else.

Jan