Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Airplane Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alaskan Airplane Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:56:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Have you seen any of these:

https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3665168/391523839/stock-photo-drifting-ice-floe-is-in-neutral-waters-of-the-arctic-ocean-april-the-russian-aircraft-391523839.jpg

http://yellowairplane.com/north_pole_2002/Aircraft/Global_Russian_Antonov_An-74_North_Pole.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-74

     It's a Russian Antonov AN-74 transport design specifically for Arctic and
Antarctic operations.  The design is based on our YC-14 transport of the
1970's, which was supposed to replace the C-130 as Gen. P.K. Carlton did not
want props in his fleet.  He is gone, but the C-130 is still in production.
Silly mortal.

>I consider myself a little more adept than the average bear when it
>comes to plane-spotting. But I've been quite surprised at the number
>of aircraft types I've never seen before.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson