Re: [OM] Eagles in the Wind [Was: Re: New Digs]

Subject: Re: [OM] Eagles in the Wind [Was: Re: New Digs]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:47:45 -0800
> I think the same is true of lens Image Quality tests. Pictures of test charts
> bore me. If I want a copy stand lens, I'll pay attention to the chart
> photos... and probably grab the Zuiko 28/2.

Speaking of OM Zuiko 28/2... Your old 28/2 is getting a massive
workout here in Alaska. 28mm is not my favorite focal length, by any
stretch of the imagination, but it is definitely earning its keep.
I've almost glued it to the 6D.

> To me, the biggest surprise of this test was that certain shorter lenses
> CONSISTENTLY out-performed longer ones, even after cropping to achieve a
> similar subject size.

That has been my experience, as well, with the 6D. If you throw enough
pixels at the problem, you can use digital zooming to accomplish the
task. The key, though, is to have a pretty pure set of pixels to work
from. Many of my OM Zuikos will punch hard enough that any loss of
resolution is within the span of a pixel. As long as I'm "pixel
sharp", it doesn't matter how much sharper the lens really is. (at
least until I upgrade cameras).

AG Schnozz