Re: [OM] WWWF Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]

Subject: Re: [OM] WWWF Bagpipes [was A tale of too many tripods]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:04:40 -0700
On 6/6/2018 5:57 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
On 5 June 2018 at 23:22, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not much wrestling, and no one else at hand to take the photo. <
http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22856>

It did make getting the angle I wanted easier. Last shot in this corner
was more difficult to set up and the angle was less than ideal. The down
side is that it's aluminum and, in cases like this, a weight at the end of
a long lever arm. Avoiding vibration effects seemed to me to require remote
release, after waiting for everything to settle.

Thank heaven for micro 4/3 - anything bigger and you'd have needed a
counterweight (or a hefty bag hung from the tripod boss) to stop that
tipping.

Well, yes, and slightly no. I thought I had used the A7, until I looked at EXIF. Although taller and deeper, the A7 is actually slightly lighter than the E-M5 II. IBIS added a lot of size and weight to the later models.

Jan's concern about it being no sturdier for studio work than his Benbo Trekker is not mine. I have no idea about that comparison, but it works fine with the cameras I use.

I have a similar device myself though it mostly gets used for
getting low-down or as a substitute for a copy stand - it's really easy to
get the camera pointed straight down without getting the legs in frame.

I have a Manfrotto that does simple horizontal with a flipping center column.
This thingie is more flexible.

Contortionist Moose