Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikofest Alaska
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 22:40:17 -0700
On 5/31/2018 2:50 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Spectacular images, Moose, especially the first one.

Thanks!

Burney Falls is beautiful. the area at the base is also wonderful on a hot day. :-)  The stream that feeds it is interesting as it is above ground only a short ways above the falls. Saith Wikipedia:

"Burney Falls is a waterfall on Burney Creek, within McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park, in Shasta County, California. The water comes from underground springs above and at the falls, which are 129 feet high, and provides an almost constant flow rate of 379 million litres per day, even during the dry summer months. The falls are an example of river drainage regulated by stratigraphically-controlled springs, and also of a waterfall formed by undercutting of horizontal strata. The falls were called "the Eighth Wonder of the World" by President Theodore Roosevelt . . ."

The third one impresses me more. Much rarer, but harder to visualize in context. Unfortunately, I was in forest, and couldn't get a shot of the whole granite face.

A temporary stream going over a cliff almost 3,000' above, just enough wind to push the water around as mist - and late sun at just the right angle. This was one where I saw it while driving, sped to a place to turn off and jumped out of the car, calling "I'll be back" over my shoulder as I ran into the woods.

Those are full size trees at the top. The highest cliff in the Middle of the country, the Sears Tower, is only half as tall. ;-)

Elevated Moose