[OM] OT: Weather Forecasting

Subject: [OM] OT: Weather Forecasting
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 07:47:47 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It appears that NCEP/NOAA (National Centers for Environmental Prediction)
has gone offline.  Nothing is available, not even the top page.  Most of their
facilities are located in Maryland, and with that massive flooding in Ellicott
City I can't help but wonder if there has been some significant damage to the
local telecomm infrastructure.

     It was some 2 1/2 years ago (??) that they had a fatal server failure,
which took out the interactive internet interface for almost six months as they
had to replace the entire server.  That didn't bother me at all as I only use
the FTP server, which is much faster.  But now, even that bottom tier is gone.

     For now, I'll have to rely on the UNISYS access to GFS, which is a poor
but usable substitute.  It's nowhere near as robust as NCEP/NOAA.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson