Re: [OM] First Baptist Church and Tattoo Parlor

Subject: Re: [OM] First Baptist Church and Tattoo Parlor
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:14:19 -0800
> I assumed the picture is from Alaska. I suspect that there it may overlap.

You assume correctly. And, you are pretty much correct in that regard.
Alaskans are very very different. It's a fascinating intersection of
cultures and survival. It's pretty obvious that Maslow never met an
Alaskan when he developed his "Hierarchy of Needs". Alaskans are all
about the bottom and the top. (Physiological Needs and Self
Actualization). That means that as long as you have shelter, food and
fire, you can jump right to creativity. The rest of his pyramid is
totally optional and is for the folks down south (lower 48).

It's helpful to keep in mind that everything can kill you up here.
We've got bears and moose in the neighborhood. An avalanche killed
somebody a couple weeks ago and somebody planted a Piper Cub on a
mountain side. All within a few miles from here--and we're where the
civilization is. When my daughter and I went for a hike the other day
(the green valley picture), that spot is about a half-mile above the
valley floor. We were above treeline and went as far as the snow pack.
In just a couple of minutes, the temperature noticeably dropped and it
started spitting mixed precipitation. We hoofed it out of there and by
morning there was a few inches of fresh snow. That spot where I took
the photo is actually quite steep and is a slide area. It may be only
a few minutes from the house, but that doesn't make it safe.

So, religion (keeping square with God so you don't cook in the
afterlife) and tattoos (self expression)  do fit the model.

AK Schnozz