Re: [OM] Chief Joseph Dam

Subject: Re: [OM] Chief Joseph Dam
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 21:24:25 +1000
Very good work Peter !

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
<olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On
Behalf Of Peter Klein
Sent: Thursday, 17 May 2018 6:03 PM
To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] Chief Joseph Dam

One of the highlights of my eastern Washington trip was a tour of Chief Joseph
Dam, on the Columbia River near Bridgeport, WA.  This dam plays second fiddle
to the higher and better-known Grand Coulee Dam, but is quite impressive in its
own right.  It is a little over a mile wide overall.  The powerhouse contains
27 generators of between 88 an 109 megawatts each.

We were lucky enough to meet, quite accidentally,  a very nice park ranger. I
asked him if they were giving tours inside the dam.
Officially, the season hadn't started for non-reserved public tours, but he
said, "Do you want a tour?"  Oh, yes!  It was hog heaven for anyone who likes
huge machines and  control panels with lots of dials, gauges and big switches.
The immensity of the project also shows what we are capable of when we have our
act together.

Unfortunately, I can't show you anything from inside the dam, because
photography is strictly verboten.  The post 9-11 security measures are quite
thorough, but understandable.

What I can show you is the B&W photos I took from the publicly accessible areas
near the spillway.  Water levels were high and almost all the spillway gates
were open.  It was quite a show!

I'd appreciate some C&C about these photos. I was trying to show the power and
beauty of all that falling water and spray.  Which ones succeed?  I'll leave
them labeled by camera file number for easy identification for the next day or
two.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/27292691487/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/27292691657/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/41263412915/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/41263412745/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/27292691847/in/dateposted-public/>

Leica M Monochrome with 35 and 50 Summicrons and 90/3.5 Voigtlander, plus
yellow filter.  Enjoy!

--Peter