[OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]

Subject: [OM] Geocoding [was B&H Photo]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 12:56:01 -0700
On 4/22/2018 12:25 PM, Mike Bloor wrote:
Moose

Just looked for Geosetter on the Apple app store with no result. Do you know if
that’s available for IOS?

You don't need an app to geocode photos taken with the phone, that's automatic. A phone app would need access to the photos on your camera and the ability to modify them. Some WiFi apps for phone remote control will do versions of this, but are brand specific.

A geotrack is a simple text file listing time and co-ordinates, with the extension .gpx. They may be used for all sorts of things. Geotracking apps create these and can send them to your computer in various ways, email, Dropbox, other cloud services.

GeoSetter reads the .gpx file, matches its time entries to the EXIF taken times of photos and geocodes the photos. The camera time does need to be set reasonably accurately for accurate positioning. GeoSetter is PC only. LR also does this syncing, although the interface for doing so is non-obvious, but isn't free for those who don't have it for other reasons. I imagine there are geocoding apps for Mac . . .

The iGotU device I first used and the phone apps that replaced it are pretty good out in open places. Under heavy tree cover or in urban environments with tall buildings, they can get pretty squirrelly. Newer GPS devices with high accuracy chip sets do a much better job under those conditions.

I've settled on a Garmin ForeTrex 401, which has given me excellent results, even under old growth redwoods. It's supposed to be wrist wearable, but that's very awkward. I just put it in my shirt pocket. Connect it to a USB port, it takes a few seconds to convert its internal format into .gpx and I copy that into the image files subfolder for that day. Works all day on one pair of AAA rechargeables.

Where In the World Was Moose