Re: [OM] Epson V700 slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Epson V700 slide scanning
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:27:35 -0400
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this topic... life and full-time work intervened. Many thanks to all for the pointer to Chris' tutorial and to some of Hamrick's Web pages (blog and support). I had also overlooked the "Quick Settings" section in the manual; I rarely look at things like that, I want Slow and Detailed Settings :-) .

Several things I've learned:

1. The innocuous phrase "User interface easier to use" in Hamrick's release notes for version 9.6 actually means all sorts of settings updates and additions - not covered by Chris since he made his tutorial with 9.5. (It should be illegal to make this level of change in a point release.)

2. The How To Scan Multiple... support page is written for print scanning, refers to some settings that no longer exist in the product, misses some of the new settings, and simply doesn't work as described for scanning multiple slides.

3. The Batch Scanning Tips... blog page dates from June 2013, and refers to some settings that no longer exist in the product.

Nonetheless, some of your helpful hints (along with experimentation) have helped me get this working. For anyone else trying his/her hand at it, here are the key settings:

Input tab
  (Task: Scan to file)
  (Source: your scanner)
  Mode: Transparency (NOT Flatbed)
  Media: Slide film
  Batch scan: On

Crop tab
  Crop size: Auto
  Auto Offset: check
  Multi crop: 35mm Slide

I don't know when/if Hamrick will get around to aligning his documentation with the software, but it's a real PITA to sort out what to do to achieve a simple task. As time permits, I may also try: 1) the Moose method/workflow, and 2) Epson Scan.

Michael