Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f2 and Lieberkuhn Lighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 16:50:39 -0700
On 4/8/2018 3:14 PM, Jan Steinman via olympus wrote:
The reflector is slightly imperfect, compared to what Oly made. There was a
little over spray, little nodules, on the
end of the threads, and it took careful work with X-acto? knife to clean up.
Even then, it's a little trickier, more
delicate, to screw on than the 18/3.5 49-72 mm hood.

Thanks for the report on the Shapeways reflector, Moose.

It’s encouraging that it worked well, as I have never had the 20/2 macro do
useful things with other lighting techniques.

But have you tried . . . <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22776>

I have this LED ring light, bought for much less on a B&H one day sale. <https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750879-REG/bolt_vm_110_led_macro_ring.html>

The diffusers are actually stupid for regular photography. They wrap around to the inside of the opening for the lens, thus wiping out contrast quite effectively. I just took the diffuser off for my last shots, and planned to use black tape or paint to fix it.

But then - I was trying to illuminate tiny things very close up to a lens where the filter threads are well behind the FE. 8-)

My subject is a piece of aluminum foil breath mint wrapper that's been crumpled and flattened by many feet. I put it on the black side of the stage, to avoid flare from reflected light.

Turn on the light, turn it down, focus, shoot. One shot, even illumination, omnidirectional light works great for the subject. Usual DoF problems with even pretty flat 3D subject, but that's not the fault of the lighting.

Available a lot cheaper on the 'Bay, etc.

But it’s also discouraging that the quality of the CNC plastic one was less
than great.

Hey, it works!

Altogether a nice solution to illuminating small, opaque macro subjects.
Based on your report, I decided to hold on the Shapeways one, and have instead bought
a 49-72 adapter from China for $1.98. I have no idea of the focal length, but it has a
26 degree slope that is slightly concave, so perhaps it will be useful. I’ll
spray the inside flat white and see what happens.

From my reading, I'd try the matte side of slightly crumpled aluminum foil.

Or mebby it will wait until I build my 3D printer. TheBuilder kindly made his
CAD file downloadable. I have all the parts for the 3D printer; just need to
put it together, right? Story of my life...

Jan