Re: [OM] Variable ND filters[Was : Re: Nathan's PAD 21/2/2018: two facet

Subject: Re: [OM] Variable ND filters[Was : Re: Nathan's PAD 21/2/2018: two facets of a long day in Bulgaria
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 22:27:09 -0700
On 3/15/2018 8:08 PM, Michael Gordon via olympus wrote:
Already Neutral Moose writes:
<<I wanted an ND so I can control the relationship between <<aperture, shutter and ISO. For example, my ancient Canon
FL <<58/1.2 is quite differently "bad" @ f1.2 and f2.0, then <<starts to get good @ f2.8, so I may want a
particular amount <<of ND to stay in the "bad" zone on a bright day.

Hmmm,

A7 has max ss of 1/8K IIRC, though no total e shutter for faster SS.  Back of
the envelope calc says should get you to F2 at sunny 16.  Mebbe not quite
enough.

Nope, not quite. Esp. when you add my general preference default EV -0.7 setting in the sun. I don't remember the numbers, just some trouble getting the combo I wanted last summer with the LensBaby Velvet 56/1.6 and the 25/1.4 CCTV lens on E-M5 II. My current Alt darling is 58/1.2. So a variable ND to fit them seemed a good thing to have in the kit.

This is what the CCTV lens looked like with the only ND8 filter I had, so I got a tiny one for it. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22269>

Must say ND for slow SS can be replaced by multi-exposure technique simplified
by Sonnie Smooth Reflection app that yields a single combined low noise raw
file.   I was smitten by that capability.

OK, I've installed it. Not sure how it will work for this purpose. All the examples in reviews and user posts are of using it vs. a multi second ND exposure. All I really want to do is slow a desired 1/32000 sec. exposure to 1/8000. :-)

But even if it doesn't work for that, it seems to have some other useful functions, although they mostly require a tripod. You may not have known; I never used the tripod I hauled across Bhutan. But I could have . . .

Why did they kill it, Mike

They killed the whole App function? I can see the possible danger of hackers, I
suppose?

Smooth Moves Moose