Re: [OM] IMG: Swiss Round Barn

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Swiss Round Barn
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 23:19:13 -0600
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.  I've seen reference to others that were built for horse training.  These that I recall were near Belvidere, TN, and appeared to be built by individual farm owners.  I found one photo in the Tennessee State Archives that showed one being completed in 1904.  There were a number of Swiss that settled in adjoining Grundy county, choosing a mountainous area like they had lived in in Europe, but found the land to be poor.  I suspect they relocated to Belvidere area because the soil was much better.

Don Northcutt, who made the drawing was an interesting individual.  When I knew him, he worked as a technical illustrator for our technical reports.  He did pencil drawings of interesting places in the surrounding area, and sold them as numbered prints. He also worked as an official at many high school sports events. His eyesight finally failed him.  I still see his daughter from time to time.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA