Re: [OM] Urban detail

Subject: Re: [OM] Urban detail
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:33:00 -0800
Like the Art Deco details.

Zigzag pattern fan, Mike

Thanks!
On 2/6/2018 9:42 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Nice. I remember walking around there when I was last there, in 2013 or 14 I think (I have a cousin in Oakland, and my son was working about 25 miles away at the time).

That 'uptown' area continues to change. It's doing the artsy, young urban folks thing that happens in transition zones. It used to be dead on weekends, but there are now more people living there. We ate at a good new Mexican restaurant* with an eclectic menu quite unlike the old line ones nearby, next to couple of other new ones, a shipping container converted into coffee place and a microbrewery beer garden. Lots of folks out and about. One walks between new/hip and old, some being rehabbed, with a scattering of the homeless and the distinctly poor and unhip.

First Friday nights, all the restaurants, galleries and artists studios are open, food trucks on the streets, bands on the sidewalks - a big, crowded, noisy, happy scene. Just a few blocks away, there's a large homeless encampment under a freeway. All the usual US urban scene.

Semi Urbane Moose

* I need to remember to take pix of the food before attacking. The fish tacos were visually beautiful, as well as tasting good.