Re: [OM] You don't get these in Iowa

Subject: Re: [OM] You don't get these in Iowa
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 10:34:50 -0800
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:06:16 -0900
>
> Woke up last night to a nice movement. No, not bowel movement as that
> came later.

If the former is big enough, I hear it can promptly inspire the latter! Glad
that didn’t happen to you, but do check your underwear. :-)

Here in SW BC, numerous communities had tsunami warnings and sirens. The
biggest wave was only 3cm, in Tofino, I think. There’s a lot of criticism about
how much warning was warranted, and about how few people were alerted. Most
people slept right through automagically-delivered cell phone texts, and only a
few communities blew sirens.

> The long-term Alaskans are pretty chill about it…

Like the wonderful scene in Steve Martin’s “LA Story,” where a big one hits
while a group is having a nice meal in a restaurant. They carry on as though
nothing unusual is happening, despite waiters careening about and dishes
crashing to the floor.

> this is just a reminder that Anchorage will get nailed
> again with a big one at some point.

Welcome to the PNW. We live with knowing The Big One can come at any time.
We’re not in Kansas, er, Iowa, anymore, Toto.

Personally, I’ll take the possibility of an earthquake to the possibility of a
tornado any day.

Wherever you live, somethin’s out to get ‘cha.