[OM] Nathan's PAD 29/11/2017: around Berlaymont

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 29/11/2017: around Berlaymont
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 07:46:10 +0100
On Wednesday around lunchtime I took a brief walk around the EU quarter before
I had to head for the airport to fly to Stockholm. On the Schuman roundabout, I
happened upon a demonstration-this is a frequent occurrence, as this square,
surrounded by the main EU institutions, is a favourite spot for political
activity of this sort. This time it was a demo to protest the treatment of the
Rohingya by the Burmese government:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rkHtxrc/A

Most of the participants were Bangladeshi Muslims. Some were local, but many
(most, I think) had come to Brussels from other European countries, principally
the UK but also Germany and France, to stage this demonstration. It was all
peaceful and dignified, although I was struck by the complete absence of women.
The elderly man on the right in the high-viz vest was very friendly and invited
me to take as many photos as I wanted:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9NswSgb/A
Incidentally, our Brussels Liaison Office, my workplace when I am in town, is
in the building on the right side of this image.

On the other side of Berlaymont, the huge building that houses the European
Commission, is a reminder of what has been achieved, despite all the problems
the world faces, and also of the trans-Atlantic ties that once bound us
together but that are being undermined by the current regime in Washington. A
piece of the Berlin Wall, enclosed in glass to protect it from the Brussels
weather, with wall art depicting John F. Kennedy:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-59gW5br/A

I found the juxtaposition quite moving, but of course I am a direct beneficiary
of the West’s victory in the Cold War, having been born on the wrong side of
the Iron Curtain.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman