Re: [OM] Oly Focal distance in EXIF

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Focal distance in EXIF
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 21:54:47 -0800
Somewhat worse than would have expected.

Yes, when I have, rarely, checked it, is has seemed helpful. The tests make it
seem less than that.

It was always going to be an estimate especially at wider dof or longer
distance.

But I expected it to be in the vicinity. Even something like ±30% would be
useful.

Agree it is an oddball parameter to worry about for focus accuracy

Neither AF nor mirrorless, magnified MF depend on it at all.

but can be useful to have for some software to help correct focusing distance
sensitive aberrations.

Perhaps as an aid or adjunct to memory?

At least Oly reports estimated  focusing distance as Panny doesn't even bother.

Panny's choice may be the wiser one. As various iAuto and face recognition functions need some idea of DoF, they must have something to work with.

The whole thing is rather puzzling to me. There's no apparent pattern to rely on, either. That MF, which uses the same stepper motor, would in some cases give such different results, when focus in the images is identical, is also puzzling.

I wonder if series of shots with the same lens and settings might vary all over the place. I'm not likely to try that, though. I now know they are really unreliable, so that wouldn't add any practical info, and there are other projects to keep me busy. :-)

I posted this link a few years back:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52938

Yes, I remember that. What it didn't show was the wildly different results for
a series of lenses.

5/5 lenscap rating  of this endeavor for experimental Moose, Mike

Whew, at least something for my efforts! ;-)

It's a Shame Moose