Re: [OM] Phun with Flies

Subject: Re: [OM] Phun with Flies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 02:10:14 -0800
On 11/24/2017 10:12 PM, Philippe wrote:
The second one, with the fly, is superb! Sharp where needed and the OoF
rendition is fairly good too.

Thanks!!
Partly good gear, partly luck, maybe a little good shooting technique and
definitely some PP chops.

Fly had NeatImage NR/resharpening, then bits of different amounts of FocusMagic. Background has two different levels of Gaussian blur applied, light for most, heavier painted in where the bokeh was edgy. Bokeh wasn't bad, but I wanted the background to be about the colors, and otherwise creamy.

I also had a look at the potpourri and find the people shots excellent.

More Thanks!

Again, there's often a lot of PP work in them. The little girl who needs a pearl earring had been eating, likely ice cream, and had dried remains around much of her mouth - all gone. Others had harsh or weird light. The girls in the shade with light bouncing up off bright stone had darkish "mustaches" from the shadow of their lips, and so on.

The landscape and details shot look slightly too tightly framed for me

Taste is so difficult to figure. I don't know whose to work to but my own, but I'll keep that idea in mind. I know BobW's comments about cutting his eyes have me thinking about sharpening.

I suppose too I may react to the relatively small size of even good sized web images, and want to maximize the size of the subjects. Your practice of small primary images, then large versions at a click is another approach, but I dislike viewing that way, so don't work that way.

  - one notable exception, and it must be my eye’s favourite in the series is
the following
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNoVDMYtBMjuVQzjM4Objoy2PezD7h1WLzNNS0XFN7LTiSHTXor-_WEW2jYqDj7pw/photo/AF1QipMxWhhW7tI-0wgMunTAkiuloqvZtC5ISSG4TuqX?key=WTVXRFVLOW9pRko0b21SY3BTUVNaNXhrV0U5ZFh3

And more thanks! That was tough light, but such an interesting subject. These miniature stupas, "Tsa-Tsas" I believe, are found in all sorts of places, sometimes what seem to me unlikely ones. They are made in molds and, while wet, papers with prayers on them are rolled up and inserted into the bottom.

I made sure to get an example. If you look at the close-up of the unusual blue and white painted ones that begin that series, you will see one next to them that has fallen back and deteriorated, so you can see the inserted paper being revealed.

Amities
WA Philippe, who ordered a BF 10-24 yesterday, and can’t wait to test it :-)

That should be fun. I don't think it would have captured this particular subject in one shot. It's a stitch of three 12 mm (24-e) shots, and I don't think 16-e would cover it. I did have the Laowa 7.5 mm, 15-e, lens along, but stashed in the car. I've resisted the 7-14 mm µ/4/3 lenses on the basis of size and weight, but one might have been perfect there.

Stitched Moose