Re: [OM] IMG: More from the E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More from the E-1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 20:43:08 -0800
I was such a fool. On Sunday, after I vowed to make it an "E-1
Weekend", I took the 6D up the valley instead. I had a specific shot
in mind that needed the higher resolution, but didn't want to carry
two cameras down the slippery trail.

The B&W picture turned out very well, but the color shots are garbage.
I finally loaded up DPP on my computer to see if I can get better
conversions with the Canon software than Lightroom. The short answer
is that the colors are better, but everything else crunches up in such
a way that what was pixel-sharp is now mush buckets of crud. Even
though the colors are better, they aren't E-1 colors.

When you shoot a normal scene and subject the files to normal
processing to get a normal picture, just about every camera gives you
pretty much the same results. But crank the volume knob to 11 and
watch how much the 6D files fall apart. The E-3 files fall apart. The
L1 files struggle a bit. But the E-1 files will take any abuse you
give them and they still scream for more leather and chains. The 6D
files are simply uncontrolled in the blues and oranges. They'll find
blues and oranges where they don't exist. The whites turn orange, the
shadows turn blue. But greens and reds are either non-existent or they
are artificial. The E-1 lives and breathes the primary colors, but
scream greens and reds. If there is an ounce of green or red in the
scene, the E-1 will find it and exploit it. The 6D isn't able to find
a green or red even if you pour paint all over the camera.

While I like the 6D for some stuff, and I've been shooting some
gob-smacking beautiful pictures with it, the processing is very
hit-and-miss. It's a brutal exercise to bend the files to my liking
and interpret the scenes in ways that I prefer to see the world. The
E-1 it ain't.

Saturday's picture of the X5 in the snow is a perfect example. The
gradients are so smooth with the E-1 pictures, but the 6D rendition of
that would have had a blown out orange blob where the sun is and a
blue cast everywhere else.

As soon as we get our finances into positive territory (moving halfway
across the world isn't cheep and going a month without a paycheck is
tough), I'll gladly offload the 6D and get something else. I love the
resolution and the see-in-the-dark capability of the camera, but that
CMOS sensor just doesn't see the world the way I see the world.

Jim's pictures would be nearly impossible to get colors like that with
the 6D unless you slit your wrists first to get the reds to pop with
your blood.

AG Schnozz