Re: [OM] Sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharpness
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:25:44 +0200
In theory I'd say yes, based on the idea that sharpness in the end is about
contrast (the difference between one pixel and the adjacent), and since a
FF pixel would gather more light, it will have higher 'dynamic range', so
with the ability to process more contrast it should get you more sharpness.

However:
- When the dynamic range of the part of the scene which you want/ expect
sharp is adequate for the smaller sensor, I doubt the sharpness difference
is visible c.q. only measurable.
- With the same f-stop the smaller sensor will always have more DOF. It
could well be that the perceived sharpness of the resulting image is
higher. If the f-stop is two stops faster to compensate for DOF, you'll
need a longer exposure or higher ISO to compensate. Both could have a
negative impact on sharpness. A longer exposure is prone to include more
movement, higher ISO reduces dynamic range and introduces noise. Besides:
- There is no FF camera with comparable IBIS to the OM-D camera's.
Depending on your subject, if not or slow moving a large part of the FF
advantage is regained by this, and with many camera-lens combinations it
will actually be an advantage over FF.
- You will need top-of-the-bill FF lenses to equal sharpness of the M43
primes at full opening. Most of the OM Zuiko's won't cut it (on topic ;-).
The m43 primes are really quite good (and the pro zooms too) at full
opening.

Looking forward to other views on this topic.