[OM] IMG: Goodyear Blimp

Subject: [OM] IMG: Goodyear Blimp
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 21:41:00 -0500
Late today, the airport manager informed me that one of the Goodyear Blimps was going to remain overnight at the Tullahoma Airport.  It was circling away from the airport, awaiting the arrival of the ground crew.   When I arrived at the airport, the blimp was west of the active area of the airport.  Camera around my neck, and an extra battery in my pocket, I hiked about a half mile across the rough grass and one active runway to the area where he was to be tied down.  The crew saw that I wanted pictures, and, with time on their hands, they circled and made approaches to give me several angles.  My biggest problem was that the setting sun was in my face, and I didn't relish hiking another half mile to get the sun to my back.  So, what you see is what I was able to get.

This is one of the new Goodyear craft, N1A, and is actually a German-made Zeppelin, with some internal structure, not really a blimp, but is still classified as a blimp.

Cabin

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20171013-DSCF5869.JPG.html

Waiting for the ground crew

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20171013-DSCF5895.JPG.html