[OM] IMG: Bee Busters at Work

Subject: [OM] IMG: Bee Busters at Work
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:22:28 -0500
I spent a couple of hours this morning observing Pete Waldenmaier, aka "Bee Busters", extract a nest of Eastern Yellow Jackets from my back yard.  The insects are quick frozen and shipped to a lab in Pennsylvania to be used to make vaccine used to desensitize people who are very sensitive to the stings of these insects.  Pete says the nests are very large this year. This one showed signs of digging around it, so a nightly-visiting skunk has probably been at work.  I have seen evidence of some kind of nightly visits.

I learned a lot about stinging insects during the time the vacuum cleaners were gathering the Yellow Jackets.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170924-DSCF5510.JPG.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA