Re: [OM] Advice wanted - catching up on the last 10 years Message-ID: <m

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice wanted - catching up on the last 10 years Message-ID: <mailman.36.1505124962.8799.olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 12:27:55 -0700
On 9/12/2017 8:14 AM, Frank wrote:
The killer feature of the E-M1 II would be 'pro capture' for me. In that
mode, you half press the shutter to make the camera take pictures in a high
frequency, only to save the last 14 or so if you press the shutter to
expose.

Sounds like a killer feature at first look.

I would like it for people shots and animals (birds for instance, capturing
the moments just before they take off).

Then I think about what I shoot. The samples promoting it, such as a dog catching a frisbee, are mostly shots I wouldn't take.

Looking at a recent photo outing, there's only two subjects where it might have helped, a lizard and the bee shot I posted. And, well, I got both shots.

With the lizard, I was done shooting and was about to turn away when it turned its head to look at me. I wouldn't have been in PCap mode, and I pressed the button and got the look anyway. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22291>

With the bee, I took six individual shots over a 32 sec. period. The third was the winner. Would PCap Mode have upped my chance of a winner, or just given me 84 images to go through, instead of six? I don't know the answer, just ask myself the question.

On another forum, Jan suggested the use of Sequential Mode shooting for critters. At about 5 fps for low speed, with C-AF or C-AF+TR, that might indeed have given me some better choices. With short bursts, it seems I might well end up with something much like the PCap mode results. I tell myself that I'll try this. (I've still got a free MySet, see below.)

Any opinions Moose? (I noticed it doesn't work with Panasonic lenses
though, so you're left in the cold with the 100-400).

And here you've answered your own question. There is, at the moment, no other lens that comes close to the 100-400 for me. The Oly 300/4 Pro may be optically spectacular, but has two huge drawbacks from being a prime, leaving aside size, weight and $. It's shorter than the 100-400. For subjects that don't fill the frame at less than 400 mm, will a cropped 300 mm shot be even as good as an uncropped or less cropped 400 mm shot? My guess is no. Got a tripod, static subject, shoot HR mode, maybe.

How about the 200 mm subject, where you can't back up? The 300 mm prime loses;
the 100-400 gets the shot.

I do still have my 75-300 Oly, but in addition to the lesser reach, which is a big deal for me, it's not optically quite as good. So it sits on the bench.

The shots where, in retrospect, I might like to have had this feature, are
almost all with the 100-400.

Although my head leads with the Oly 12-100, my heart chooses the Panny 12-60,
another one that won't work for Pro Capture.

There is also another problem with the E-M1 bodies. With them, Oly has chosen to drop the four MySets in favor of three Custom Settings positions on the Mode dial. I imagine this to be a choice driven by marketing; the Big Guys have Custom Settings on their Mode dials, so we need to be feature competitive with our Pro camera.

Unfortunately, it's a step backward for me. I push an Fn button, and I'm in Focus Bracket Mode with 15 slices. Press it again, and I'm back to the settings I had. Press another for 25 slices. Press another for multi point focus with C-AF+TR; press it again to go back to single AF point and single AF. It's simply quicker and easier than spinning the dial back and forth. Maybe I could get used to doing that blind . . . (The setting is visible in the VF.)

I'm holding out for an E-M5 III with 1/60 sec. HR Mode, higher speed operation overall, retaining MySets, PCap Mode, and with whatever new thing the Oly Elves cook up. :-)

Moose D'Opinion meets Moose D'Decision