[OM] Eye Implant lenses

Subject: [OM] Eye Implant lenses
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 13:45:09 +0100
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tina wrote
<
I chose to have my left eye lens implant focused for distance and I can focus the

camera with it again!  Now I'm considering whether to have the right eye
implant focused for reading.  That is essentially what I have right now
because I can see distance with my left eye and read with my right eye.
That way I could use the camera - focusing and setting it - without
glasses.  Opinions??>

I have not had to make the decision although I have lived with my wife having
cataract surgery on both eyes, and personally have bifocal lenses with a
separate (bifocal) pair optimised for 'computer use with reading'.  My main
question would be 'How long would the eye performance be expected to stay
optimum without glasses?'. I have astygmatism and know that I need new lenses
every year or two as the cylindrical axes change (due to changes in the eyeball
shape?) to maintain maximum resolution.
And I have 'reactolite' (or similar) lenses for use outdoors to cope with
bright sunlight.
Would the answer to the above be affected by laser surgery to rectify one of
the commoner short-term complications of cataract surgery?I suspect the answer
depends on why you wish to avoid wearing glasses (eg problems in rain) but I
think that I would prefer to to go with bifocals.
Brian Gray