[OM] Nathan's PAD 5/9/2017: another day in Bordeaux

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 5/9/2017: another day in Bordeaux
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 08:14:11 +0200
Yesterday was my only full day here, since I am flying home this afternoon. But
it was a good day. Five images.

In the morning I gave a talk at the conference I am attending. It is held at
the University of Bordeaux law school, with a statue of Montesquieu dominating
the main stairway (he was the guy who came up with the separation of powers
into the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government, and he was
born 25 km from Bordeaux):
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-wfTC5dn/A

I then visited the city’s magnificent cathedral, close to 1000 years old,
although of course most of it has been added later:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-5QVz4Q9/A

After going back to the hotel and changing into comfortable clothes, I ventured
out for the evening. Bordeaux has an excellent and inexpensive public transport
system, making it easy to get around. I first went to the contemporary art
museum—those of you who follow my postings will know that this is usually on my
itinerary when visiting a city. The museum is housed in an old warehouse and
makes great use of the space. Here part of an exhibition by Naufus
Ramírez-Figueroa, a Guatemalan artist based in Berlin:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-773dwb5/A

Then I hopped on the tram again and went further north along the river to La
Cité du Vin, a huge museum/exhibition space devoted to wine, as one might
expect in the world’s most important wine district. It was about to close, but
I really had come to see the architecture:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-sgk7RcX/A

And after all this cullture it was time for some physical nourishment, starting
with a beer on Place du Palais (same place as the day before), where I asked
this couple to pose for me:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-MCLz5qq/A

I finished a satisfying day with a nice dinner at a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant.
No pics from there, I was hungry!

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman