[OM] OT: TS Irma

Subject: [OM] OT: TS Irma
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:04:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Even though everyone is paying due attention to TS Harvey, other tropical
systems are appearing that may affect us.  Out here we have what will soon be
TS Lilian, which may bring some rain to the southwest.

     At the same time, we now have TS Irma out in the western Atlantic.  Though
a week away fron entering the Carribean, climate factors are somewhat
favourable for this storm to affect the US mainland along the Gulf Coast or the
Atlantic Seaboard.  Harvey was just a tropical storm when it struck Yucatan,
and dropped down to a depression while crossing the peninsula.  It only took 48
hours to reach category 4 status.

     The principal aggravating factor is the lack of shearing winds, which
serve to limit the rate of growth and ultimate strength of tropical cyclones.
Those winds are still lacking as the Hadley Cell downdraught is pushing the jet
stream northward.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson